Asante Kotoko Coach Mariano Barreto has received a heavy sanction by the Ghana Football Association Disciplinary Committee for being found culpable of a misconduct charge.
Barreto was charged for a breach of Article 38(8)(c) and 34(6)(d) of the GFA Premier League Regulations, 2019 in respect of violations of the Associations Regulations.
The charge was in relation to his comments made during a league match between Legon Cities FC and Asante Kotoko. In the aftermath of the game, Barreto made allegations against the referees by stating that Asante Kotoko SC played 11 against 15.
Also, Coach Bareto made verbal offensive statements about the performance of the referees by stating that the referee only makes mistakes against Asante Kotoko SC, a statement made without proof and brings the game into disrepute according to the DC.
The Coach pleaded NOT GUILTY and stated that his comments were misconstrued because he was referring to the 11 players and the 3 substitutes players of Legon Cities FC who played the match.
In the ruling the DC said;
1. That the Committee found the evidence of Mariano Barreto not convincing.
2. That Mariano Barreto is found guilty of the Charges.
3. A fine of GHc3,000 is hereby imposed on Mariano Barreto in accordance with Article 6.1(c) of GFA Disciplinary Code
4. That Mariano Barreto, Head Coach of Asante Kotoko SC is hereby handed a two-match suspension in accordance with Article 6(2)(a) of the GFA Disciplinary Code.
5. Mariano Barreto is warned that any future misconduct shall receive a more severe punishment.